Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am trying to find info regarding reducing 85% sentence in

Customer Question
Louisiana? Has it...
I am trying to find info regarding reducing 85% sentence in Louisiana? Has it passed yet?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Louisiana. and it is a violent crime.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not about this. My grandson was incarcerated this past March.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: His current sentence is 3 - 5 years for aggravated battery.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/11/2016
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you.

The law in Louisiana already says that a person convicted of certain violent crimes must serve at least 85% of their sentence before being considered for parole. House Bill 802 (HB 802) was passed and signed into law in June of this year reducing that amount to 75%. However, the law was written in such a manner that it does not apply retroactively, but only to people sentenced after the law was signed. Therefore, unfortunately, your grandson would not be eligible for the additional reduction in sentence. I wish I could tell you otherwise.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for the information. That is the same information I found but I wanted to be sure that I was interpreting correctly.

You're very welcome. Kindly remember to leave me a positive rating by clicking on the stars, so that I'm credited for my time and information. Thank you very much!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

RobertJDFL, Attorney