How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116705
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a city of garland texas code compliance citation

Customer Question

I received a city of garland texas code compliance citation for a few spots on house that need paint. The citation was mailed to me at my address. The house in question is my rental property and like wise i dont live there. Can i still be liable for a ticket that i didnt sign? Suppose i never did get it, then i have no knowledge of it. So can a warrant be issued for non payment on a ticket i never signed or given to me in person?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, yes, you can still be held liable for the violation as the owner of the house. If you fail to respond to the ticket, then they can put out a warrant for failure to appear, although when it comes to any fines for failure to appear, the fact you do not live there would cause the judge to dismiss any fines for not appearing, even though you would still be liable for the house being in violation as you are the deeded owner. If you know about the citation now, you need to go to the court and let them know what happened so you can begin to resolve the matter and give the court your proper mailing address if they need to send you any other documents.