How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27129
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What recourse is there for a person who files for a

Customer Question

What recourse is there for a person who files for a restraining order without true cause? Issue: a male has made FB and text threats against 2-3 people, but seems to have turned it around to receive restraining orders.
What can we do? Even collectively? Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


Is this a criminal or a civil order? If a criminal order, you'd retain a defense lawyer and fight the charges. If you win the case you could potentially go after the person who filed against you for malicious prosecution.

If this is a civil order, in order to convert the order from a temporary order to a permanent order, there will have to be a hearing. At the hearing you would get the opportunity to present evidence to challenge the necessity for any such order. If you prevail, the judge would lift the restraining order.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.