Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was active duty in the Marines in 2012 when I was moved by

Customer Question
military orders out of state...
I was active duty in the Marines in 2012 when I was moved by military orders out of state. I had to sell my home in Texas because of the move but because of the housing market, ended in short sale. The loan was a VA loan and Bank of America was the lien holder. B of A forced me to miss payments in order to go to short sale as well as reported on my credit report that the loan was not paid in full. Because the loan was a VA loan B of A was paid in full after closing. B of A refuses to correct their error on mine and my wife's credit report which went from the 800's to the 600's. We are trying to buy a home now that I have retired from the Marines and are being turned down by creditors because of the errors on the credit reports. I want to fix it. How can I do that? Can I sue B of A for defamation of character, slander or anything of the like?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/10/2016
Lawyer: AttyHeather, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience.

If they are reporting that there was a short sale, and that you missed payments, and that you did not pay off the debt, based on the facts you have provided, I don't see how that is false. I understand you stated they "forced" you to miss payments so that it could go to short sale, but doesn't the fact remain that you missed payments? I know - not what you want to hear, but it won't do you any good for me to give you information that I believe is incorrect just because it's what you want to hear. Based on what you've said, it sounds like the report is correct. If you still don't agree, you can dispute the report with the individual credit bureaus.

AttyHeather
AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer