How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33134
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father set up a verbal contract with a private school in

Customer Question

My father set up a verbal contract with a private school in which he provided transportation services, drivers, maintenance, and ultimately actual vehicles and busses for the small school in exchange for tuition waivers for his grandchildren. This was established in 2010/2011 and can be documented with receipts from the transportation company, affidavits from those agreeing to the services in exchange for the tuition waivers, proof of vehicle titles given to the school. etc. With only one school year left for our children who will be seniors, the school is under a new administration and is refusing to honor this agreement. We are trying to negotiate a reduced tuition even for this year, however the school is unwilling to communicate. We believe there was acceptance by the past administration, both parties benefited, we have signed affidavits from the Manager of the transportation company that indeed this was the agreement. We believe this new administration is in breach of contract. If our children were not in their last year of high school, we would not fight this. But because it is their last year and we have been involved in this agreement since 2010/2011 school year, we believe the school is bullying our daughters and being unreasonable and possibly unethical. Please help.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Verbal agreement are enforceable. They are just more difficult to prove. You have a claim for breach of contract. Consideration was provided by your father and he did not breach his obligations under the agreement.

If the administration refuses to honor the agreement then retain local counsel and file suit for breach and unjust enrichment.

You will want to retain local counsel, as this is not simple litigation. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Because school is about to begin, should I get a letter from an attorney stating that it appears there is a claim for breach of contract? Otherwise, I fear that since school is beginning Monday, they will drag this out and it will become an irrelevant issue, because my twins daughters will be enrolled no-where for their last year of high-school until this is somehow resolved.
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.
have your attorney write a letter threatening litigation. It could have enough of an intimidation factor to force them to back down.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
May I hire you to do that?
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the vote of confidence. Unfortunately, I am not taking on new clients (semi retired).
The Florida Bar maintains an excellent online referral program:
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.