Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am not sure where to begin, this is kind of an odd

Customer Question
Hello- I am not sure where...
Hello-
I am not sure where to begin, this is kind of an odd situation. With that being said here's my case... I work at an animal shelter last summer we were called in to take a dog whose owner passed away the neighbor ended up adopting dog. Fast forward to this past spring that dog passed away and the shelter I work for took the dog in to be cremated. The gentleman was quite distraught. We consoled him no different then any other individual who comes in whose animal passed away. A couple of weeks ago he came in to ask me to be the executor of his will. Needless to say I was quite surprised. I was somewhat understanding of his situation, him being mostly alone (other then his animals),no family/children and seeing what happened when his neighbor passed. So I said I would talk about with my husband and family. He mostly wants me to take in his remaining animals and leave me his remaining possessions. There's not a lot. He had told me he had talked to an attorney that did a workmans comp case for him, who told him we wouldn't need to have any documents notarized but rather can videotape us signing paperwork along with two impartial witnesses? He also wants me to be his emergency contact and have a key to his house if/when something happens to him. I am not sure I want any part of this. I feel bad for him but I don't want to make any decisions without fully knowing how this process works?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/10/2016
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi Christina. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Whether or not you want to be involved is totally up to you. This is not all that uncommon when you have an elderly person with no family. Especially when there is a bond relating to animals. People have a perception, usually a correct perception, that if people have a heart for animals they are also kind-hearted people in general. And, if they have other animals and have no one else in their lives, they look to that bond with that person to handle things when they die, especially their pets. You have no legal obligation to involve yourself now or in the future...either as the executor or as a beneficiary. Even if you agree now, you can always decline to serve as executor or disclaim any inheritance at the time of his death. This would not impose any liability on you; you would not be responsible for any of his debts and liabilities.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I need to sign anything? Should I sign anything?

No, you do not need to sign anything at this point.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have you heard of videotaping signatures as oppose to notary?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it a good idea for me to have a key to his house?

It does happen sometimes, but I would still recommend the will be notarized so that the witnesses would not have to show up at probate. It's fine to have a key, but I would never go there without someone going with you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At what point would I need to sign something

Only at death.

Until he dies, you actually need to do nothing. Only when he dies would you need to proceed to probate his will if you choose to act as executor.

Richard, Attorney