Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Have been paying Alimony for over 15 years. (Well over half

Customer Question

Have been paying Alimony for over 15 years. (Well over half the time Married) Was told by a local Lawyer during a consult that it was a shut case of no longer having to pay within 6 weeks. Disclosed the fee of 200.00 p/hour, said it would take 5 hours at the most but wanted a $1,000.00 retainer. When calling back, asked how all of the $ up front & possibly then some wasn't what We believed a "retainer" to be & just wanted some insurance of the "Job" getting done. The Wife of the Attorney Yelled to get another Lawyer & just hung up. We don't mind paying but do not want to pay "all" up front....a "retainer" to see the Job is completed. Any suggestions of Who We should go to or if it is indeed an open & shut case, is it something We can do with help?
Thank-You!
Mike & Tonya
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear you had trouble with the first lawyer.

Did he tell you why he thinks this is an open and shut case? What is your basis for seeking to end alimony? Also, what state are you in?