Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

A barbar shop refused to make an accomdation for my

Customer Question

a barbar shop refused to make an accomdation for my parkensen disease? I wanted an appointment and not be taken in turn.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: ny
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Just so I am clear this was a privately owned barber shop and they made a special requirement for you based on your disease that required you to make an appointment while others were not required to do the same?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor had to leave.
Businesses that are open to the public must make reasonable accommodation for accessibility of disabled patrons under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Granting you an appointment could be deemed a reasonable accommodation if you could not wait in the shop because of your disability for a short time to be seen. If they are not granting you an accommodation, then it is possible to pursue a complaint against them through your state office on human/civil rights or even the US Department of Justice Civil Rights Division or to sue them for failure to provide reasonable accessibility accommodations contrary to the ADA, which is a violation of your rights under the ADA.