Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am not sure if i should consult a lawyer for this issue or

Customer Question
Hello JA: Hello. How can we...
Hello
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: I am not sure if i should consult a lawyer for this issue or not but i used to live in the community for 2 years with an occupant. I moved out early and found another occupant in my place. Now since the lease is over. The leasing office charged me for unfaur stuff like carper replacement and refridgerator replace amount for $800.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No i am not sure if this is something to take it to the lawyer
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: but i have no way to talk to the leasing ofc they are hanging up my call
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/9/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. After a tenant moves out, the landlord can apply the lease towards:

-unpaid rent, or

-damages to property beyond normal wear and tear.

Now, the withholding of part/all of the deposit for damages (which it sounds like this was) is deemed proper unless challenged by tenant in small claims court. So, it is up to you to file a small claims court complaint and then the Judge will determine if:

-the damage cited really was that beyond normal wear and tear, and

-if the withholding was reasonable.

See HERE.

Good luck.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Ely, Counselor at Law