Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I am being threatened by a woman to expose personal

Customer Question

I am being threatened by a woman to expose personal information to my family unless I help her out
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Is this a situation where you met her through Facebook or something similar and then sent her photos or said things you now wish you hadn't?

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I met on line she had some incriminating emails I never met her in person she is threatening to expose the emails if I don't help her out financially I'm married
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

What you are involved in is the newest scam running. The person is likely in the Philippines, that's where most of these seem to originate once you run them down, but everything makes it appear as if they are in the US.

How are they threatening to expose you? By sending an email, by posting it on Facebook (which is usual), etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I've checked she real I have her name she is in wisconsin im sure what action can I take to nip it in the bud such as a strongly worded cease request from a law firm she's contacting me I've shut off contact from my end
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's not clear on the way of exposing me but sYs my life will be ruined
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Don't count too much on that really being her. It may be, but we get questions about situations like this every day and the "crook" is usually using someone else's identity.

You probably want to hire a local lawyer to send the cease and desist letter an then also consider filing a complaint at www.ic3.gv, which is the federal agency dedicated to handling internet crime.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Criminal Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Normally the scammer threatens to expose the person through Facebook, or at least that's been the primary threat so far.