How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102506
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My x grilfriend had a order of protection placed on her and

Customer Question

my x grilfriend had a order of protection placed on her and my daughterwhile i was in jail. i am out of jail, because charges were dropped. i want to see my daughter and was told i could have her name taken off of the P O but dont know how or where to start
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me:

1) WHO pressed the order of protection?

2) Via criminal or civil court? Or, not sure?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alexis ********* put the Order of Protection on me, Sebastian ****** and I think in civil court
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. No, I mean... how are you related to these people? Not their names.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the misunderstanding. I think I can answer your question with the information provided. You likely have an ORDER OF PROTECTION against you. Am I correct? If I am not, then reply and let me know.
If there is still a pending hearing in the Court about this in the future, then someone in your situation wants to file a Motion for Reconsideration provided that it has not been 30 days since the decision. If it has been 30 days, then one would file a Petition to Modify Order of Protection. An form is below (it comes from a certain county, but they all use state law):
Instructions are also within. The filing instructions would pretty much mirror the same way for either RECONSIDERATION or the MODIFICATION filing. Good luck.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.