Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I have credit card debt. I am being taken to court by

Customer Question

I have credit card debt. I am being taken to court by Discover. I am on SSD and make very little at a part time job. I have a car that I'm paying off. Can they take my car? I need it for work and medical appointments. Can they take my car??
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

How much is the car worth vs. what you owe?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the car 5 months ago. I have paid 2000 so far. It's a 6 year loan and the total left is about 18K.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then there is no equity in the car so they couldn't come after it. So while they could try to garnish your part time job, that is likely not worth their time to do so,

,

So you are essentially judgment proof meaning that they could sue and get a judgment, but you don't really have any assets that they could come after for payment. They may be hesitant to spend thousands on an attorney to sue you for a judgment that they can't collect on .

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks