How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do you have to report earnings under 810 a month if you

Customer Question

Do you have to report earnings under 810 a month if you collect disability
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Are you part of a couple or collecting as a single individual? The earnings/income limits depend on if this is work income as well.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

"Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) is available to individuals who can no longer work due to an established disability (physical or mental). Only those who have paid taxes onto the Social Security system for at least several years are eligible for SSDI (see our article on SSDI eligibility to see how many work credits are required). Those who are approved for benefits receive monthly SSDI payments determined by their respective earnings records (the average amount is $1,166 in 2016).

SSDI Income Limits

The SSDI program does not put a limit on the amount of assets or unearned income you have (or income that your spouse may earn), unlike the low-income disability program, Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

However, the Social Security Administration (SSA) does put a limit on the amount of money that you can earn through work when you receive Social Security disability benefits, because if you can earn an income, you aren't considered disabled.

Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA)

Specifically, if you can engage in what the Social Security Administration (SSA) calls "substantial gainful activity" (SGA), you won't be eligible for benefits. A person who earns more than a certain monthly amount is considered to be engaging in SGA. Federal regulations use the national average wage index to set the income limit for determining the SGA each year. In 2016, the amount is $1,130 for disabled applicants and $1,820 for blind applicants. The rules differ for business owners, since their monthly income may not reflect the work effort they put into their business. For more information, see our article on Substantial Gainful Activity.

No Limits on Unearned Income

While a disabled (nonblind) person applying for or receiving SSDI cannot earn more than $1,130 per month by working, a person collecting SSDI can have any amount of income from investments, interest, or a spouse's income.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question was not answered. Do you have to report earnings under 733 a month for a single person
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do earnings under those amounts have to be reported?
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

My apologies.

So do earnings under those amounts have to be reported? Not under 733.

The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program - run by the Social Security Administration - provides monthly income to people who are age 65 and older, or are blind or disabled, and have limited income and financial resources. As of January 2016, the amount of SSI payment for an eligible single person is $733 per month; the amount for eligible couples is $1,100 per month.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be clear:
The individual collects Social Security Disability and has Medicare premiums paid and is "medically needy" and gets food stamps
If he earns under 810 a month( you said 733) he does not have to report earnings and will not lose benefits. Correct?
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Food stamps do not count in Florida. You would not add them. If anything changes you would report the changes.

For example:


If you receive disability benefits, you must report your earnings or income from work AND any changes in your work activity.

If you are the representative payee for someone who receives disability benefits, you must report for the beneficiary.


Report new income or any changes in work activity immediately


All earnings (whether from wages, self- employment, or both)

If you start or stop work

If the amount of your pay or hours of work change

If you start paying for items or services that you need for work due to your disability (medicines, co-pays, medical devices, wheel chairs, therapy or counseling, transportation cost, etc.)

If you receive extra help to do your work because of your disability (extra breaks, a job coach, or a mentor).



"Workers Compensation or Public Disability Benefits

Sick Pay

Vacation Pay

Pensions from work not covered by Social Security

How often you receive payments

When the payments change or end"

"Directed government assistance, such as food stamps or medical vouchers, is not taxable or considered income. Because such assistance is not cash, it cannot be used to pay debts or for discretionary spending; it only has value when redeemed for particular goods or services."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But isn't there a guideline ?
Does income earned through work that is under 810 a month have to be reported?
Please check the guideline
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

If you earn income from working that needs to be reported. If your benefits fall below the 733 and you are already eligible and receiving benefits you do not need to report.

"If you receive disability benefits, you must report your earnings or income from work AND any changes in your work activity."

Let me provide a link for the guideline that may explain this more clearly then I seem to be explaining this to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You report anything over the $810.00

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.


improvement in your medical condition;

when you start or stop work, or have a change in pay or hours worked;

any change in your Ticket to Work status; or

any change in your work or Plan to Achieve Self-Support (PASS) expenses.


    Report any changes that may affect your SSI as soon as possible and no later than 10 days after the end of the month in which the change occurred."

    Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

    I want to make sure that the links provided were helpful. If not let me opt out for another attorney to assist you.

    Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
    Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
    I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor had to leave. Did you have further questions for us that we can assist with?
    Customer: replied 1 year ago.
    The info provided by the first attorney did not initially address the question about whether there is a requirement to report income under 810. a month while collecting disability. Multiple links were provided, but NONE answered the question. At some point, he provided his own statement saying only earnings over 810. have to be reported, but since he could not locate links to verify that, I am not able to rely on his comment! Therefore, I am not satisfied I have the answer I need
    Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

    Thank you for your reply.

    You must report ALL income from work while on SS Disability. Income under $810 per month is not counted towards participation in the return to work program, but it still must be reported and the SS rules say "all income must be reported." See: