How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6390
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are feverishly looking for a new house to

Customer Question

My husband and I are feverishly looking for a new house to rent, as our landlord is selling the property we live at now. I'm finding that we fill out many apps, even explain any credit discrepancies. We keep getting denied and when we ask why they refuse to tell us. Also I have Emotional disabilities and we've Been almost accepted until they hear about my support service dog. Also the Realtors are Asian, there's a huge language barrier as well. Please help us!
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in housing on the basis of race or color, national origin, or disability; amongst other things. Under the Fair Housing Act, the following activities are illegal:

  • Refuse to rent or sell housing
  • Refuse to negotiate for housing
  • Make housing unavailable
  • Set different terms, conditions, or privileges for sale or rental
  • Provide different housing services or facilities
  • Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale or rental
  • Refuse to make reasonable accommodations in rules or services if necessary for a disabled person to use the housing
  • Refuse to allow a disabled person to make reasonable accommodations to his/her dwelling
  • Threaten or interfere with anyone making a fair housing complaint.

Your quickest and most cost effective remedy if to file a complaint with the appropriate agency. See link(s) below: