How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19675
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We recieved a sherrifs 5 days lockout for a property which

Customer Question

Hi we recieved a sherrifs 5 days lockout for a property which was foreclosed. I am not the owner but of the the 5 residents.we are either low income or mentally disable in the property
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: California in orange county
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: We just need some more time so we dont become homeless again
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: It used to be a room and board and we were the tenants but the house was foreclosed and we had no choice but to answer the evictio n ourselves since the previous owner does not live there
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You need to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection to buy yourself some time. However, if you have received a notice of rent due, you need to pay that rent to the bankruptcy Court, the Clerk's office in order for the eviction to be suspended.

The bankruptcy case must be filed at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in your district. Click here to locate your bankruptcy Court.

Most bankruptcy Courts have pro se clinics that can assist you in filing for the bankruptcy relief. For more information, click here

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the steps i need to do?the lockout date is august 8 it was served roday. After filing bk7 do i need to show it to the sherrif?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just fyi we lost the UD case
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

After you file the bankruptcy case, you would receive a document from the Court immediately after the filling titled Notice of Bankruptcy Case Filing. You should make a copy of this notice and fax or take it to the Sheriff's office; keep the original for yourself.