How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116815
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step son got into some trouble and hit someone with a car

Customer Question

My step son got into some trouble and hit someone with a car owned by me. The other parties attorney is going after me because I owned the car and has served us with some papers demanding that we provide all kinds of documents under Rule 33 & 34 SCRCP. Do I have to respond? I'm thinking I may need to retain an attorney but not sure.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: It's SC and the car is a 2002. My stepson is in jail now for the crime.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet, I have been talking to my insurance but they haven't made a determination as to whether it will be covered under my liability policy
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My stepson got into a fight with this guy at a bar over a girl, both were thrown out and as my stepson was leaving, the other guy broke away from the bouncers and started running for the car. That is when my stepson hit him and he took off.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, you are being sued and those are requests for discovery, so you have to comply with requests for discovery. If you have insurance, you need to contact your insurer because they should be providing you legal representation on the claim and if they are not doing so, then you need to get your own attorney because you should not be going up against an attorney in any suit without having your own attorney.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What happens if I don't respond to the request for information?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

If you do not reply, they will get a motion to compel filed and they will bring you into court to get you ordered to answer them and they can seek costs and attorney's fees against you for making them bring you to court to force you to comply with discovery.