How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks for the advice. We live in a large residential

Customer Question

Hi, Thanks for the advice.
We live in a large residential apartment complex in Marina Del Rey, CA. For the past two nights the building management appear to have leased out the central courtyard and elements of our building to a movie company to film throughout the night. They have been filming from sundown to sunrise, so all through the night. This includes a full film crew in and around the property making a ton of noise, shouting action,cut, wrap etc, generators going all night, and worse of all huge film lighting systems that shine bright lights onto the side of residential apartments. Basically lights being shone through bedroom windows all night. They are even dangling actors off the side of the building with inflatable mattresses 6 stories beneath. They have also restricted the movements of people in and out of their apartments to avoid disturbing scenes. Management have given no prior notice to any residents of filming on the property and did not respond to any emails of complaint sent. Security and management have made no attempt at communication with residents. Obviously they have received a huge volume of complaints and after two disturbed nights they have finally said they have canceled the film company's contract. My question is, do we have a legal case to sue? This is a residential property that people pay a lot of money to rent and live here, and to have it turned into a film set without resident approval or notice surely has to be illegal. They couldn't do loud construction legally at 2am, so why are they allowed generators and lights to be going for a film set. Do the residents have a legal case for compensation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** i hope to assist you today.

I am very sorry to learn of this situation.

Yes, your landlord violated the "implied warranty of quiet enjoyment" by intentionally allowing this disturbance to occur.

If they fail to compensate you for the reduced value of the units for the time of this disturbance (usually the prorated value of the rent for this time period), you can sue them in small claims court for damages.