Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Court went OK. What is settlement conference and what is

Customer Question
meant by plea date....
Court went OK. What is settlement conference and what is meant by plea date.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/3/2016
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel. A settlement conference is an effort for both sides to come to an agreement on the issues and how to best settle them.

A plea date is an opportunity for both the prosecution and defense to present information that they want the judge to take into account when deciding on the sentence.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Court I found out there were kids in vehicle, I pleaded not guilty, have settlement conference next and then in September I have plea date. Charged with hit and run. Hoping I can find way to stay out of jail. Lower fine is 300.00 up to 1000.00,fine or up to 6 months in jail.

Thank you. And you have a local attorney or have talked to the public defender correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope. Going to fight my own battle,

Ok. Well I am going to opt out and allow another expert to assist.Your deposit remains untouched. Thanks for your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bye
Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

If not already answered, can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What must you bring to settlement conference

You must bring to the conference all documents and reports you intend to use at trial.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Explain. I never had a settlement conference before. What documents do you mean police report etc

If you are going to represent yourself then you need to know what documents you plan to introduce into evidence to defend yourself. A police report may be one such document. Witness affidavits may be another. Photographs of the scene of the accident may be yet another.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney