Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Iam being sused for a bill from my mother she passed on Mar

Customer Question

Iam being sused for a bill from my mother she passed on Mar 22 2015 and now the nursing home wants me to pay the bill
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me if your mother died with a will? They may want money from her estate if there is any. You are only personally responsible under filial responsibilities and that is very rarely enforced. SEE http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/your-obligation-pay-parents-nursing-home-bill.html
to the nursing home or any other creditors if you did not sign paper work making you responsible for her debts.
There are Pro Bono and legal aid attorneys that can assist locally for anyone on a fixed income.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

"responsible" not responsibility. Sorry for the typo.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know where in Pennsylvania you are located so I can provide a link for a Pro Bono or Legal Aid attorney that can assist you at no cost or a very low cost?

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor had to leave.
Unfortunately, if you are in Pennsylvania, if your mother's estate does not have sufficient assets to pay the bills, Pennsylvania Act 43 of 2005 is known as the "Filial Responsibility Act" and it is a law saying the children of a decedent are liable to pay the bills for their parent's care. Your options are a bit limited to negotiating a payoff with the creditor or seeking to file bankruptcy if you cannot afford to pay the bills and they refuse to negotiate.