Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

A credit card company took me to court 10 years ago got a

Customer Question
judgement against me but I...
a credit card company took me to court 10 years ago got a judgement against me but I couldn't pay them now ten years later there after me again I still can't pay them all I get is a small va check and small social securirty check which is direct deposit into my bank I have no property except 07 buick I use to goto the hospital for to see my doctor for cancer treatmernts
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/2/2016
Lawyer: John, Attorney replied 1 year ago
John, Attorney

You are what is called "judgment proof" under the law. First your social security and VA funds are exempt from recovery by judgment creditors. Second, your car is exempt from judgment lien in your state. Thus, while they have a judgment against you, there's nothing they can do to get your assets. I'd be sure though that you notify your bank that the account is set up exclusively for the social security and va checks, and should not in any event be frozen.

John, Attorney