Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Ihave a sister put in a nursing home, against her will. She

Customer Question
Ihave a sister put in...
Ihave a sister put in a nursing home, against her will. She suffers from alcohol induced cognitive decline/dementia, anxiety, depression & among others things. The only nursing home that would take her is out of state (Oh.). The hospital sent her there 6/1/16 after over 6 mo. ther., I had emergency guardianship, which I lost when she left the state. I did not know that would happen. She wants to come hm. & I want that too. How can I get here back to (Ky.) She wants to live alone but I know better, she will be drunk with in a day, she has not payed a bill except rent, elec. which I pd. for her. Has not filed taxes in 3 yrs., and now she owes several thousands in bills. I am disabled also, I have trouble walking, so driving 5hr. is out of the question. Can you guide me on what to do!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/2/2016
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

What state is the sister in here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ohio
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ohio is the state, I'm in Kentucky.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

I would contact the Ombudsman here.

I am being honest not sure that bringing her back is the best thing , but Ombudsman can help with all of this including relocating the person and guardianship.

This is a state paid person here that advocates for all residents here.Thanks again

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, but for $50.00 I expected a little more. Like who will become her guardian?, etc. I don't think I need an investigater, I just wanted to know what I should do and my legal rights, so I don't do anything illegal.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

The Ombudsman would need to set up guardianship in Kentucky if she returned home.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

The problem here is she probably needs to be in a lock up facility because of the alcohol and dementia issues, it would be hard for you to properly care for her.There might well be a facility in your state, the Ombudsman can help you locate one or see if that is an option.

I understand she wants out of there, but it can be a problem because I am not at all sure you have ability to deal with all these issues especially if you have health issues of your own.

At least she is getting the care she needs and apparently prospering to the degree she can.

I would talk this all over with the Ombudsman to see what would be best for her here and where that would be.I worry that this might be a real burden to you to take her in and deal with it all.Hard to monitor someo0ne 24 hours a day.I know in your heart you want her to return but sometimes that is not possible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do want her home but still in a facility. I guess I could beat the payment and try to find her a place here,But like I said no one wants her.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

I know its tough and she may have gotten worse during this time and truly need the care.Call the Ombudsman and talk it over, ask him about any facilities nearer to you.There may be options even if they have a waiting list here.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best to her and you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

You are so welcome.If you can 5 star rate it is most appreciated.Bye now.

Ray, Lawyer