How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34501
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My exroommate broke my computer.that was in April. In may

Customer Question

My exroommate broke my computer.that was in April. In may she agreed to pay for it. She moved out in June without paying. I replaced it with proof of purchase . she agreed to reimburse me and I have the whole conversation in texts. Then she changed her mind and said good luck proving it do I have a case
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: california city ,california
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: She have people harassing me threatening me to not ask her for the money anymore.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

A verbal agreement is enforceable in most circumstances. It is just harder to prove th terms, but not less enforceable than a written agreement.

This is the sort of claim or dispute for which you can file in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Most small claims judges will allow a more relaxed interpretation of the rules of evidence. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.