How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30357
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My previous attorney Clinton &$%@#&^e reprsented me (or

Customer Question

My previous attorney Clinton &$%@#&^e reprsented me (or should I say stood there and did nothin) 😴😴.... well i take thar back he seen me once for the first consultationI i then gave him my already signed and answered divorce custody paperwork.. I told him to please look over it very carefully because I could have made quite mistake. He agreed he would look them over before he submit them in the courthouse.
Now skip ahead 8 months October. , 15th 2011 at 9 a.m. was my actual court date hearing (argument)... we ,mom and dad met with him an hour early for some discussion about what was going to be said or what to expect in the courtroom. I told him I wanted HIM to write some notes down on things that I know my ex-husband would try to bring up and make me try look like im an unfit mother. Also , and to write some notes down things and proved I had. My attorney said he's not worried about anything because I was her mother and will get custody well guess what I did it because the divorce paperwork I asked him to look over he did not do. So I pretty much sign my rights over to my ex-husband for him to have custody. She go to look into your handbook and see if she can bend the rules butt 2 months later I found out I did not have custody. I have never even had a speeding ticket or any criminal records .....??????My question is this he told me and the attorney that it was his fault for not looking over the paperwork correctly. He also said after 90 days we could appeal it.
90 days finally came around and I called him for us to appeal he said let me get the paperwork going and give me a call next week well I did there was no answer I called and callEd and called. I called one more time and he answered he told me that he could not represent me anymore because his secretary walked out on him and he needed to hire another secretary very quickly... guess who he hired my ex-husband sister who has access to my records. Can he do that is that conflict of interest please tell me something
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The main question and answers I want us how can he drop me as his client and hire my ex-husband sister. I payed him for before we went to court and still had been working with me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also wanted to know how long the wait time is to file a complaint if I can
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

It is a conflict of interest for a lawyer to represent anyone related to someone who works at the firm, so he could not work for you as a lawyer if your ex-husband's sister had already been working for him. However, a lawyer owes a duty to existing clients, both of competence and of loyalty, and your lawyer has breached those obligations. You can actually sue him for malpractice, and your damages would include the cost of paying another lawyer to help you get your children back after your lawyer wrongly advised you to sign a paper giving up custody. The statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit is two years, so you can wait to see if the other case works out, if you want, but you don't have to. Fl. Stat., Section 95.11.

Your lawyer also needs to return any money you paid him that he did not earn, and you can include a breach of contract complaint when you sue him if he does not account for all the monies and prove that he earned them. You can also insist that he return your file to you, because that belongs to you and you'll need to give it to your new lawyer.

The time for filing a Complaint against a lawyer with the Florida Bar association is 6 years, so you have plenty of time to do that. See Rule 3-7.16. Here are the instructions for filing a Complaint:$FILE/Inquiry%20Complaint%20Form.pdf

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?