How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4078
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently tried to purchase a rifle at a pawn shop. I had

Customer Question

I recently tried to purchase a rifle at a pawn shop. I had to pay for the rifle BEFORE they sent in paper work for background check. I was denied. I am trying to find out why without much luck. Meantime, I asked for my money back. They told me they keep my money and put the rifle on consignment and will pay me when it is sold. It may take years to sell or possibly never. Since I couldn't buy the rifle it's not mine to put on consignment. Is it legal for them to do this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This sounds like the pawn shop is scamming you. There would be no resaon for them not to refund your money on this purchase. Also if you had a record that would deny you the right to purchase a rifle you would have received an official notice from the government with the opportunity to appeal the denial.

You may want to file a complaint with the Office of Attorney General for the fraud engaed in by this pawn shop.

You may also want to bring a small claims suit against the pawn shop for return of your money. The clerk of the court will have the forms that you need. You can also get information on the Small Claims Court process here:

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

You should also know that Washington State has no law requiring a purchaser of a rifle or shotgun to first obtain a license or permit, and state law prohibits any local government from requiring a purchaser to obtain a permit to purchase, or requiring a dealer to secure an individual permit for each sale. See: Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 9.41.110(12).

So the requirement for the permit for the rifle sale was improper.

Kind regards,