How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118658
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 1971 I applied for my social security card, I just my

Customer Question

In 1971 I applied for my social security card, I just my step father's name and received it. Since 2005, I have been unable to get an ID or divers license because I have no adoption papers. Do I need a legal name change to go back to my birth last name?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you want to continue using your step father's name, you can file a petition for name change in the Texas court to legally change your name to your step father's last name and then you can get a court order to get your birth certificate amended to your step father's name AND you can get a Texas ID in your step father's last name and everything you have will match.
The cost of a name change is about $400 and can be done in less than 30 days or so, depending on how busy the court is. You do not have to go back to your birth last name if you do not want to do so.