Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

In 1971 I applied for my social security card, I just my

Customer Question

In 1971 I applied for my social security card, I just my step father's name and received it. Since 2005, I have been unable to get an ID or divers license because I have no adoption papers. Do I need a legal name change to go back to my birth last name?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you want to continue using your step father's name, you can file a petition for name change in the Texas court to legally change your name to your step father's last name and then you can get a court order to get your birth certificate amended to your step father's name AND you can get a Texas ID in your step father's last name and everything you have will match.
The cost of a name change is about $400 and can be done in less than 30 days or so, depending on how busy the court is. You do not have to go back to your birth last name if you do not want to do so.