Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I just recieved a citation for an unpaid energy bill for a

Customer Question
I just recieved a citation...
I just recieved a citation for an unpaid energy bill for a company that is no longer in business???? What do I need to do?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I am in credit card debt due to this failing business
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: Texas.. last October
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/30/2016
Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Do you not owe this debt? If so, is there any reason why you don't pay it?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was in both my name and old biz partners name. I got stuck with all debt..I do not have the money
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No longer in business
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I need to file bankruptcy

Hello again.

I take it that you do indeed owe the money. If so, then it was proper to seek repayment from you. Bills like that rarely go away, even if the creditor company goes out of business. After all, the purchaser of the business, or the creditors of the business will want debts paid.

Whether or not you should file for bankruptcy depends on many factors, such as your income, your assets, your debts, and your ultimate goals. If you would like to share some of that information, then I will certainly try to help you make a decision (or at least give you some pros and cons).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I completely funded the start up of a business. My Ex "partner" rode my credit which was in the 800...I have never had credit card debt and YES wanted to open a retail store. It was a disaster and my EX ruined the business and left me with 170,000 dollars of credit card debt. I have settled 4 of the 11 credit cards. I have a judgement from am exprest ang now this citation from green Mountain energy.
I am very stressed...I have got different opinions...1- saying do not pay any more and let the state of limitations ride do to unsecured credit and have a credit repair company do its magic. OR 2- file bankruptcy...

Hi again.

Again, I don't know the details of your situation, but $170k in credit card debt is enough for most people to file for bankruptcy. That said, if the statute of limitations is about to expire on the debts, then that would probably be preferable. But considering you're now being sued, it doesn't look like waiting for the statute of limitations to expire is going to work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
your suggestion would be?
A- settle
B - FILE FOR BANKRUPTCY

Hi again.

I hesitate to give you a suggestion since I don't know anything about your situation. But in general, settlement is usually more desirable than BK because it's not nearly as damaging to your credit report.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Your giving vague answers...this site is a joke. I am not happy...

Hello again.

I'm sorry that you feel that way, though I understand. I did not write something specific like "You should definitely do X." But please understand why:

It's because I don't know anything about your situation other than what you told me here. Accordingly, I simply do not have a complete picture, and it would be totally inappropriate for me to give you a definitive plan of action under those circumstances. This website cannot adequately take the place of an in-person consultation with an attorney who can sit with you for a couple of hours while you give all the details, ask countless questions, review various documents, etc. And there are a lot of factors that go into a decision to file for BK.

As an analogy, it would be like coming to this site and asking a doctor how to deal with the red bump on your arm. While the doctor may give you some ideas of what it could be, and what you may need to do about it, he cannot definitively tell you because he hasn't examined you. He'd be making a guess. The same goes with me and your legal situation.

I hope this makes sense.

Of course, I'll be glad to continue helping you, and answer legal questions. But I cannot definitively tell you what to do.

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney