How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3991
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our local dry cleaners have destroyed our sofa covers and

Customer Question

our local dry cleaners have destroyed our sofa covers and refuse to pay for the sofa to be re-upholstered. Please let me know if you are able to support and what our options are.
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Your option is to bring a small claims court action against the dry cleaner for negligence and breach of contract. In Pennsylvania the Small Claims Court limit is $12,000.00. This means you can sue up to that amount for the damages that you can prove.

The first step is to get an estimate for the re-upolstery. Once you have the esitmate in hand you need to write a Demand Letter to the dry cleaners. A demand letter is a formalized letter where you state in simple terms the facts and demand the remedy that you desire. The key is to write in a professional and civil manner. This link describes how to write a good demand letter and includes an example:

A good demand letter can often cause the other party to rethink their position.

After you send the Demand letter if you do not get a reply or the reply you want then it is time to file an action in Small Claims Court.

Small Claims Court is before your local magisterial judge and lawyers are not needed. The clerk of the court will have the forms that you need.

This link describes the PA Small Claims Court process in detail:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent guidance. Thank you very much.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Kind regards,