Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Debt collector sent me a summons. I answered and sent a debt

Customer Question

Debt collector sent me a summons. I answered and sent a debt validation letter asking for1. Agreement with the creditor that authorizes you to collect on this alleged debt
2. Verification that this debt was assigned or sold to collector
3. The agreement bearing my signature stating that I have agreed to assume the debt
4. Valid copies of the debt agreement stating the amount of the debt and interest charges
5. Complete payment history on this account along with an accounting of all additional charges being assessed
6. Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state; and
7. Your license numbers and Registered AgentThey just sent me a few statements. I don't feel like I know that they are the ones that actually own the debt. Is that enough info from them and should I try to settle this or should I wait and see if they provide more info?
Expert:  Ely replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. When you state "summons," do you mean that they actually sued you? Or, that they sent a demand letter requesting payment?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Demand letter threatening to sue. It looks like a law suit but no case number ***** if I didnt respond in the 20 day window they could open it and win. I answered within the 20 days.
Expert:  Ely replied 12 months ago.

Thank you. See HERE. It is hard to define what debt validation really is. Some federal districts are content with just a name and address. Some however want a contract.

What part of US are you in?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
washington state
Expert:  Ely replied 12 months ago.

Eastern or western Washington?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
western
Expert:  Ely replied 12 months ago.

Thank you. That district so far has no strong precedent as to what is and what is not validation. Therefore, without specific case law, most courts will likely state that simply name, address, and confirmation of identity is enough.

As such, it would not hurt to begin negotiating.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.