Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Is Lady Bird Deed legal and binding in the state of Kansas?

Customer Question

Is Lady Bird Deed legal and binding in the state of Kansas? Would it protect the seizure of my home if I had to go into a care facility on medicade?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The state of KS does recognize Lady Bird Deeds, enhanced life estate deed. Yes, it would avoid medicaid from placing a lien on the home for recovery. The Lady Bird deed would give your beneficiary rights to the property only at the time of your death and not before, but it avoids probate and because the full ownership goes to your beneficiary immediately upon you taking your last breath medicaid cannot put a lien because you do not own it.