How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117367
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recruited 3 years ago to play volleyball at a

Customer Question

I was recruited 3 years ago to play volleyball at a university. I was told by the head coach that I would be receiving a full scholarship. She stated in her email, which I have saved, that the only expense I would need to worry about is my airfare to and from home. After my second semester, I was informed by a teammate international just like myself that we were required to pay upwards of $800 in taxes on our scholarship to the school every semester. I am from a low income household and was unable to cover this fee, especially since it took me off guard. I was very clear in my initial video conversation with the head coach that I would not be able to pay any additional fees and was told that I need not worry. She, unfortunately, withheld this information from me. Had I known of this fee, my decision regarding this school would have been completely different. Now I am being denied access to my transcripts for a transfer because of a fee which I was told I would not have to! worry about at first. What are my options? I do not want or need any monies from the school, I just want my transcripts to continue my education on another full ride scholarship at a different college. I need this ASAP.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, what many athletes and other students do not know is that the room and board portion of their scholarship is deemed taxable income and as such it must be claimed as income. The actual scholarship for the tuition and associated fees is not taxable and does not have to be claimed. While you may owe the school the tax money, as a non-resident alien without any other income or assets, if you file a non-resident alien tax return with the IRS you can get that money refunded to you from the IRS. However, legally the school does not have to release your transcripts if they paid the taxes and you still owe them the money, so as hard as this may be for you, if you pay the money and get your transcripts, then file a non-resident alien tax return, you will likely get most or all of that money refunded to you based on your lack of any other income.