How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20227
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My apartment was burgled while I was gone. The cause of the

Customer Question

My apartment was burgled while I was gone. The cause of the burglary was the contractor hired by the apartment complex left my door unlocked. Now my renters insurance are denying me help because there is no sign of forced entry or proof the contractor left the door unlocked. DSo i I have a case?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: A friend who is barred in another state
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have already filed a police report
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 11 months ago.


Thank you for the information and your question, although I am unclear about who, specifically, you are asking if you have a case against. If you are asking if the apartment complex or contractor can be sued for your losses, then the answer is maybe. I say maybe, because you will have to prove that they left the door unlocked. That might be difficult to do. But, you can always try.

You could file suit against both the apartment complex (since they hired the contractor) and the contractor's company in small claims court if you losses are $10K or less. Each party may try to get themselves dismissed from the suit, and the apartment complex might be successful, but that is their issue to sort out with the court, not yours. In other words, you should sue whoever might have been negligent and the court will sort it out after receiving all of the evidence. But again, you will have to have some good evidence that they left the door unlocked.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 29th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.