How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm in Illinois. I sued someone in Oklahoma in Small Claims

Customer Question

I'm in Illinois. I sued someone in Oklahoma in Small Claims Court. I won a default judgment this morning since the defendant didn't show up. But I don't know what to do next. How do I enforce that judgment, preferably without going to Oklahoma? (Note: it's less than $1K.)
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, once you have a judgment, you have to wait 30 days for them to appeal. Then after 30 days, if they do not pay, you have to go back to Oklahoma and file a motion for writ of enforcement and ask the court to order seizure of their property (you have to specify what property) or bank accounts and garnishment of wages. Your alternative is to turn the judgment over to a collections attorney who will take about 33% of whatever they can collect.