How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4064
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a retired NYPD Detective that suffered a laceration to

Customer Question

I am a retired NYPD Detective that suffered a laceration to my trigger finger. As a result I was retired with 3/4 disability because at the time I could not shoot the required active member qualifications. My ID card is stamped no firearms but I retired in good standings with no disiplinary action. I moved to CA and obtained an hr 218 carry license after passing required corse. Can I legally carry a concealed firearm.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Yes you may lawfully cinceal carry your firearm in California. The laws pertaining to conceal carry and conceal carry permits are controlled by the state law in which you reside. Restrictions that may be imposed by New York are not controlling in California.

As a tangential matter, (and here I am assuming the ID card to which you refer is your retirement ID from NY), I doubt very much that your ID Card is a restriction on your gun rights, but rather an indication of the disability limitation that you have. Based on the limited facts that you provided, I can not see how the physical disability determination regarding the use of firearms can transfer over to your rights under New York law, let alone California Law. In any event New York limited determination in regard to your retirement can not control your rights under California law.

California Law on the subject is California Penal Code 26150 & 26155

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,