How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102356
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is getting married in Edinburgh, Scotland. He goes to

Customer Question

My son is getting married in Edinburgh, Scotland. He goes to school there but lives in Nassau County NY. He was told that he needs a non impediment form but we don't know how to obtain this? He is not able to come home to get this. Can you please provide some advice? Thank You. Helene Marks' (mom of Gregory Marks)
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: We live in New York State, but I read New York City is different from nassau County Long Island.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have not. I did not think I needed to.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No I don't think so.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This is not uncommon. Some countries require a Certificate of No Impediment. This is a certificate that states that he is not been married. However, no state or federal agency in USA provides such a certificate. But this is okay - local marriage registrars are aware of this and generally waive the requirement for Americans.

If he does not get a waiver, then he may execute an affidavit at a U.S. embassy or consulate nearest to him stating that he is SINGLE. The U.S. embassy or consulate cannot attest to his marital status but they will notarize an affidavit stating that he is single, and that should be enough in substitution to the document required.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!