How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband abandon me a 1 1/2 ago I am in Calif. he is in

Customer Question

My husband abandon me a 1 1/2 ago I am in Calif. he is in MClean VA. I have been married for 22 years. I found out about 5 years back he is still married to his ex-wife. He just sent me by email a legal separation INSTRUCTIONS and I have not replied. I just rec. my REAL estate license but I have not made any mone yet . I have no income and he has only sent me about 800 this year and he has a very good job with his fathers company and with his terms. He is mentally abusing me. Also he is very controlling and I have lived in our house for 12 years. HIS father ended up on the day we were buying our house after I got a 15 year loan for the house. his father paid it off and in 2006 he gifted to my husband and put it in a life trust. also in 2006 MY HUSBAND WANTED TO TAKE OUT MONEY ONE THE HOUSE WITH A LINE OF CREDIT AND HE DID A QUIT CLAIM DEED THAT WAS A JOINT DEED BETWEEN US BOTH AND HE DID IT AT HIS JOB WITH THERE NOTORY EMPLOYEE THAT WORKED WITH HIM SO HE COULD QUALIFY WITH ME ON IT. THE RECENTLY I RAN ACROSS A PAPER FOR BANK OF AMERICA WHICH WAS DATED IN 2006 THET THE NAMES ON THE DEED THE WE SIGHED THE DAY FOR THE LOAN DID NOT MATCH. SO THE NOTARY GIRL THAT WORKED WITH HIM NEVER RECORDED IT. WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS ON ANY OF THIS. PLEASE HELP ME.CAN YOU CHARGE HIM FOR MY LAWYER FEES OR CAN YOU REFER ME TO A PROBONO LAWYER. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME.
DEBBIE GALAVIZ (###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience, and I can assist for informational purposes.

If he is still married to his ex wife when he married you, then your marriage could be void.

However, it is possible that as a matter of equity, the judge would probably take jurisdiction over the home and other property that was acquired during the time you thought you were married, and divide it in a fair manner.

Here a website that can help you get free and low cost legal aid in Californa:

Let me know if that answers your questions?