Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can false impersonation charge be expunged in Missouri?

Customer Question

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Were you convicted or not convicted?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not exactly sure it was dropped to peace disturbance. It will be 10 years August 2017. False impersonation of law enforcement officer. Was pulled over and had weapon in car asked why had it and said I work in law enforcement field since I was armed security not in uniform. Charge won't let me back in police academy.
Thank you for your reply.

If it was a conviction of disturbing the peace and you were never convicted on the false impersonation, then YES, you can file to expunge the charge. However, an expungement does not remove it from your record visible to law enforcement agencies or government agencies, just the public. So you would need to file a motion to vacate or set aside the conviction and ask the court to dismiss the charge in order for most police departments to not consider it.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Impersonating a police officer was amended to peace disturbance so was not convicted so that can be expunged?
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it can be expunged, but see the explanation above that an expungement does not mean police, courts or government entities cannot still see the record.