How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19499
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just saw I have a debt of $744 Valley Hospital, Im

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I just saw I have a debt of $744 for Antelope Valley Hospital, Im surprised because this visit to the hospital was for my 1yr old daughter who is covered under her fathers insurance(BLUE CROSS) and somehow i'm the one being billed and why at all since she has blue cross insurance by his employer Northrop Grumman, how do I dispute it and make it disappear from my credit report
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You need to contact the hospital's billing department and ask why the insurance did not cover the bill and why the bill is being billed to you instead of her father, who has the insurance. Depending on the hospital's response, the hospital may have to resubmit the bill to the insurance company or bill the father. You should also demand that the insurance company remove the derogatory information from your credit file. Otherwise, you need to dispute the information with the Credit Reporting Agency ("CRA") where the information is showing. Pursuant to Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”), CRAs have up to 45 days to investigate the information and get back to you. As part of this investigation, the CRAs would send inquiry to the reporter of the information to verify or correct the information. If the reporter (the hospital) verifies the information, the derogatory information would stay on your record. However, you would be given an opportunity to put a statement on your file that you still dispute the debt. On the other hand, if the reporter corrects the information in your favor or fails to respond to the inquiry, the CRAs would correct the information in your favor and send you an updated credit report.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.