Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I HAVE A CHIROPRACTIC ANIMAL CARE OFFICE AND I DO SPINAL

Customer Question

I HAVE A CHIROPRACTIC ANIMAL CARE OFFICE AND I DO SPINAL ADJUSTMENT ON ANIMALS WITH INJURED DISC AND VERTETRAE. MY S.C. STATE LAWS ALLOWS TREATMENTS IF AUTHORIZATION BY VETERINARIAN. MANY VETS SIGN THE AUTHOIZATION BUT SOME WILL NOT-- THE PETS OWNERS GET UPSET WITH THE VETS THAT WILL NOT SIGN---BECUASE THE ANIMALS REPOND TO VWERY WELL---WE NOT SNAP.POP.OR CRACK --THE TREATMENTS ARE VERY GENTLE WIHTOUT ANY PAIN .THE PETS ARE "PERSONAL PROPERTY"---the pet owners want the treatments---they want to sell their pet to us ---bill of sale--with out vets aruthorizartion--Question--if the owner of the pet sells the pet legal ownership to me---can I treat the animal with out the vets apporval Authoriazation ??I HAVE A MEETING NEXT WEEK WITH MY CHIROPRACTIC BOARD-FOR YOUR INFORMATION WE HAVE NOT BROKEN STATE LAWS..
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. (Here) is my profile. Please give me a few minutes to review your inquiry and I will be back. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Let me look at the law on this and do some research and I will get back to you within the hour....

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

I have found an answer for you; but it is not looking pretty. Here is what SC law states in relevant part:

SECTION 40-69-270. Licensing requirement; exceptions.

(A) A person may not engage in the practice of veterinary medicine in this State without a current and valid license issued by the board pursuant to this chapter. Nothing in this chapter may be construed to prohibit:

(1) ...

(4) a person or a regular employee from administering to the person's own animals, except when the ownership is so vested for the purpose of circumventing the provisions of this chapter or except when the employee is so employed for the purpose of circumventing the provisions of this chapter; however, the administration to the animals must be in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws;

Based on the above, I am afraid the purchase of these pets for treatment purposes may be viewed as circumvention. I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are paying for a professional and honest answer.