How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102505
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To whom it may concern, and I have a question about my

Customer Question

To whom it may concern,
My name is Tammy ***********, and I have a question about my rental security deposit. I paid $300.00 for the deposit, and $200.00 each pet deposit for two cats. I lived in the apartment for nine years. I recently moved, and the management company is attempting to charge me $280.00 for damage repair of seal & prime from smoke odor. Is this legal? Please help me!
Thank you,
Tammy *********
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, Tammy. The landlord can keep a deposit (pet, or general) for the following:

-damage to property beyond normal wear and tear by you or your pets, or

-unpaid rent.

Thus, it is legal for them to keep the deposit and even demand more, if they claim that the damage was not covered by the deposit.

However, if you feel that their damage claims are exaggerated, and should have been covered by the initial $300 and $200 deposits, or, there were not damages at all and they should return the deposits, you can file a small claims court action and let the Judge decide - see HERE.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.