How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12209
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandfather was a logger. in 1943 all three of s sons

Customer Question

my grandfather was a logger. in 1943 all three of his sons were in the military fighting WWII. My grandfather held title to a section of land he was logging and drowned in 1943. The state of Mi. took his land away from his widow while her sons were over seas. could we his grandchildren have any means of having that property returned to the family?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

I'm sorry to say that the answer is likely no. First and foremost, Michigan may have had a good reason to take the property. You don't mention why, but it is unusual for a state to steal property from people, so in most cases (though admittedly not all) the state is within its rights. Second, and possibly more importantly, it's been so long since this occurred, any statute of limitations would have expired decades ago. So even if the widow had a legitimate claim at one time, it's far too late to make that claim now, 70 years later.

I am truly sorry that my answer is bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!