How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27435
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I sue? The Bank of Dalian in China caused my funds to

Customer Question

Can I sue for fraud? The Bank of Dalian in China caused my funds to get seized by the tax authorities in China. After requesting funds to be wired from an international partner I was informed that the funds were seized and that I owe 1.2mill in taxes, then the bank offered to loan the taxes for 20% down over $200,000. I paid it and then the bank asked for new wire instructions so I sent the same info I sent for initial wire but company name was labeled instead of beneficiary so they asked who was beneficiary so I gave them my name not company name and they changed the name of beneficary I didn't ask them to change anything. As of result of them changing, an additional $64,000 was required by the tax office so I requested to get a formal letter head explaination of charges,a week ago, from bank. They egnore my request which leads me to believe that this is fraud.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


When we hear events like this it is usually because the customer is the victim of an elaborate internet swindle and that they are not dealing with who and what they think they are. Exorbitant tax demands, typically entirely unwarranted but plausible to the unwitting victim of the fraud, are asked for, when in fact, if the funds are in excess of the taxes, the government can attach what they are entitled to and you would not be required to pay anything out of pocket. What else is suggestive of scam is that the bank has not responded to your requests.

If you were indeed dealing with the Dalian Bank in China, it would appear that you would have a potential suit. Then the issue becomes whether you would want to sue from here or hire an attorney in China to bring an action there on your behalf. The latter would be more practical, since an international suit would be costly and protracted. Then, even if you won, you might have to go into the Chinese courts to try to get the judgment enforced, because otherwise the bank may not pay up,

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can the federal reserve do anything on my behalf? If not can you or can you find an attorney to take this case?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

US agencies have no jurisdiction over foreign banks. That's why in order to address this, the most efficient way would be to find a lawyer in China. In order to find a reputable English-speaking Chinese attorney, your best bet would be to contact the US Embassy in China. They keep a roster of attorneys to which they refer Americans who need the services of a lawyer while abroad.

The next best alternative would be to consult with an international legal referral service. Here's one of them.

If you want to mount an international suit from the States, you could contact the Georgia Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service and if they can't refer you to an international business lawyer then try a commercial referral service such as