How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33404
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe HCTRA $1000. Of that amount, only $61 is unpaid toll

Customer Question

I owe HCTRA $1000. Of that amount, only $61 is unpaid toll fees. The remaining is administrative, collections and other fees. These accumulated because i didn't update my paper tags and sometimes the charge didn't go through on my account, but i corrected that as soon as i received an email. I received the mail stating i had fines, but since i had a toll tag, i ignored them, assuming that they toll violations would charge on my account and the unpaid fees would go away. (that's what happens on the east coast, and i expected that here.) I completely understand this is a situation of my doing and i want to pay the tolls and collection fees. But i don't want to pay $650 in administrative fees.Do you recommend hiring an attorney to help getting the fees reduced or waived?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Houston
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no. i called a lawyer, but i haven't paid or retained services
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes, if you owe HCTRA you are better off hiring lawyer. I've dealt with them both as an attorney and for my own stuff and they are never easy to get along with and they know that they have the upper hand so you want a lawyer who has an "in" with them and that they either know and like working with or that will put them through the grinder in court.

I have never heard of anyone representing themselves and coming out ahead against them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.