How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in indiana and being told I have to have a legal

Customer Question

I live in indiana and being told I have to have a legal Drivers license being on the deferred drivers program. I still do not have one but the VA has hired a person to drive me around and take care of my needs. So I haven't worked on getting it validated due to the VA hiring me a caregiver.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: So do I need to have one and will I go to jail
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have but he seems so clueless
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: And I have invested a lot of money into him
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 12 months ago.


This is Samuel. First of all, thank you for your service to our country.

How did you get into the deferred drivers program? Was this ticket related? Has that fine been paid?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sam thank you for responding and as far as serving our country you're welcome as it was my pleasure.Over a year ago I had no idea my drivers license was suspended due to a ticket. Unfortunately I was rear ended at a stop light and thus is the situation & ordered to be in the deferred drivers program.I was positive all I was told was to pay a such fee and so I did. Now, I'm being told that there's still $100.00 due yet. And at the court hearing I must have proof of valid license and pay the amount yet still due.I have the amount due. However, my license is still under suspension with the BMV bc of a bill collector.
Expert:  Sam replied 12 months ago.

Thank you. I suggest you need to pay the amount due before you can get your license reinstated. And so you should contact the clerk of the court, show them any ID that you have, explain that you do not have a Driver's License because of the apparent outstanding fine and you want to pay it. And get a receipt for the payment.

Expert:  Sam replied 12 months ago.

Even if there is a hearing set, take the money to court, explain you have no valid license. You can show a copy of your invalid license. And tell them you don't drive, etc. And ask them are you going to take my payment so this matter can be closed or not.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
What I am scared of is going to jail. I'm a Veteran being treated in Intensive outpatient therapies, as well as physical body injuries being treated currently all by the VA. And hence the VA caregiver. I'm a single momma with 2 little girls. I don't want jail time.
Expert:  Sam replied 12 months ago.

Thank you. No, you cannot go to jail because you want to pay your fine. When you go to the hearing have the money to make that payment. As matter of fact, see if you can make the payment without a hearing and then have the hearing dismissed.

Expert:  Sam replied 12 months ago.

Jail is generally reserved for Violent offenders. This is not a violent offense. So please try to relax about going to jail. That just won't happen.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I did try your suggestion this morning and said that I need to come in to the court hearing to prove valid license. I would have loved to just paid it and it be dismissed. This is why I reached out to I have already paid an attorney and he just keeps jacking up his price and then today the court has said he hasn't even contacted them and my court date is Tuesday. Thanks for everything and answering all my questions.
Expert:  Sam replied 12 months ago.

You're welcome. As I stated, you can bring your current license with you. And make the fine payment at the hearing. There would be no jail involved.