Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I LIVE IN LOUISIANA. SEVERAL MONTHS AGO AN ACQUAINTANCE WHO

Customer Question

I LIVE IN LOUISIANA. SEVERAL MONTHS AGO AN ACQUAINTANCE WHO DID NOT RESIDE IN MY HOUSE REQUESTED TO STORE SOME OF HER BELONGINGS IN MY HOUSE BECAUSE SHE COULD NO LONGER PAY FOR STORAGE. I SAID "YES".THERE WAS NO VERBAL OR WRITTEN AGREEMENT. SHE HELPED AROUND MY HOUSE WHICH WAS GOOD BECAUSE I AM PHYSICALLY HANDICAPPED BUT I COULD HAVE DONE THE WORK MYSELF. I SEE HER VERY LITTLE NOW SO MUCH LESS HELP AND I WANT HER TO TAKE HER BELONGINGS BACK.I CANNOT EVEN TELL HER THIS BECAUSE SHE NO LONGER ANSWERS MY CALLS.THEY GO TO HER VOICEMAIL. HOW LONG BEFORE I CAN LEGALLY DONATE HER BELONGINGS.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP,
LOLA CUADRADO
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

You have absolutely no legal obligation to hold onto her belongings any longer than you want to hold onto the belongings. You were not paid and you had no contract with her to hold onto them -- you were doing a favor and that is all. The only way you would have such a legal obligation is if she had actually been your TENANT -- and because she was never your tenant, you were just doing a favor for a friend. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can call her and leave a voicemail or text her and tell her that you are going to dispose of her belongings if she does not find a way to come and get them within a few days (give her a specific date -- 7 days or 14 days, etc) and remember that you are giving her the notice as a COURTESY ONLY -- you are not legally required to give her any notice at all. The law holds that you were just a friend doing a favor for a friend and nothing more.

-

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, could you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-