How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42871
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born in Florida in 1947 and have lived here all my

Customer Question

I was born in Florida in 1947 and have lived here all my life. I'm currently selling my house and plan to travel the United States for the next two years before relocating from my current south Florida to North or central Florida. Can I maintain a Florida domicile and can I continue to register my vehicles and personal drivers license in Florida. As I will be traveling the next two years, I won't be in one place long enough to register any vehicle or get a drivers license. Thanks you, Donald Stinson,***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You would need an address for mail and for tax purposes.This can be a relative or other.You would keep your voter registration, drivers license, insurance on car if you want to prove Florida residency.I would find a friend or relative for an address that you trust and have them hold the mail or forward it to you.

Here if challenged it is the appearance that you are a Florida resident, with an address, a voter card, drivers license, insurance for a registered vehicle, etc.It would also be a great idea to spend at least some time there and document that with receipts, etc again if it comes up.

Thanks again.Enjoy retirement.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Below are some examples where "residency" is referenced in Florida Statutes.

Florida Identification Card and Driver License Information
(includes U.S. citizen and non-United States citizen)

General Information: Manifesting and evidencing domicile in Florida
(Chapter 222.17, F.S. — Homestead and Exemptions)

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Florida Statutes, Chapter 222
Method Of Setting Apart Homestead And Exemptions

222.17 Manifesting and evidencing domicile in Florida

(1) Any person who shall have established a domicile in this state may manifest and evidence the same by filing in the office of the clerk of the circuit court for the county in which the said person shall reside, a sworn statement showing that he or she resides in and maintains a place of abode in that county which he or she recognizes and intends to maintain as his or her permanent home.

(2) Any person who shall have established a domicile in the State of Florida, but who shall maintain another place or places of abode in some other state or states, may manifest and evidence his or her domicile in this state by filing in the office of the clerk of the circuit court for the county in which he or she resides, a sworn statement that his or her place of abode in Florida constitutes his or her predominant and principal home, and that he or she intends to continue it permanently as such.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Register to vote (and vote) in Florida. Do not vote or contribute to political campaigns in your former state.

  • Transfer your out-of-state accounts to a bank in Florida.
  • Arrange for any direct deposits such as Social Security to be deposited into your Florida bank account.
  • Open a safe-deposit box at a Florida financial institution for the safekeeping of your securities and valuable documents. Close all safe-deposit boxes outside of Florida.
  • Change the address of record on all stocks, bonds and other securities to your new Florida address.
  • If you have a brokerage account, move your account to the Florida office of your existing national brokerage firm or to a local brokerage firm.
  • File your federal income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service processing center in Atlanta, Georgia, using your Florida address. File a final state income tax return as a part-year resident through the day you moved from your former state. Then, if you receive no income from your former state, stop filing state income tax returns. If you still receive income from your former state, file a nonresident income tax return for that portion of your income.
  • Declare Florida your legal residence when you make or revise your will.
  • Use your Florida address in all business and social correspondence.
  • Identify Florida in written and oral communication as your permanent home.
  • Document the days you spend in every state, ensuring that you spend more time in Florida than any other state.
  • Register all of your vehicles in Florida and return your old vehicle tags to the issuing state.
  • Notify credit card companies and other creditors of your new address.
  • Notify insurance companies of your new address and that your vehicles and valuable personal property are now located in Florida.
  • Become active in Florida community or political organizations, religious institutions or clubs. Discontinue involvement in community or political organizations, religious institutions and clubs outside of Florida. Resign from private clubs in your former state or convert your memberships to nonresident memberships.
  • Become a patient of a Florida doctor and dentist and have your records transferred to them.
  • Purchase a cemetery lot or crypt in Florida.
  • If you have a professional or occupational license and intend to continue working, obtain a Florida license.
  • Change the address on your passport.
  • Provide your Florida address to hotels at registration.
  • Hold family gatherings in Florida.
  • Subscribe to Florida newspapers and cancel subscriptions to newspapers in your former state.

I know all of these will now apply to you but they are ideas on how to maintain Florida as your residency.