Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I quit a job, obtained medical insurance thru internet(not

Customer Question
marketplace). Obtained insurance beginning on...
I quit a job, obtained medical insurance thru internet(not marketplace). Obtained insurance beginning on 9-9-15. Was informed on 6-17-16 that this company had terminated my insurance coverage(not paying one dime on any claim back to the beginning date 9-9-15)for misrepresenting my health when answering a question on the application for short-term medical insurance. I answered it truthfully; the company chose to terminate me 11 months after I was with them and paid nothing on my claims of more than $108,000 none of which had to do with any previous medical condition. Do I have a chance to win against them for waiting this long to terminate my policy and them not paying a dime on any claim since I started with them? They still owe me $280 for the $30 a month "Wellness Plan" fee. Can you help? I am out of a job. I can't pay the medical fees.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/20/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would need to first file a complaint with your state insurance commissioner for canceling without proper notice and for not paying the bills and for their bad faith in accusing you of not being truthful on the application hen you can prove you were truthful as you said above. If the state insurance commissioner cannot resolve the issue, then your sole remaining option would be to sue the insurer for breach of contract and bad faith for improperly canceling your policy and for not paying your claim pursuant to the contract of insurance and in many cases a local insurance lawyer will take this type of case on a contingency basis, meaning they get paid only from what they win for you on the case, if your evidence supports what you stated above.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney