How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

New people moved in next door to me. They put they're trash

Customer Question

New people moved in next door to me. They put they're trash cans out for pick up. This was at the end of June, 2016. Waste Management tagged their cans for being contaminated (the former residents of their property did not separate the trash). The new people were tagged again on July 8, 2016. Over that weekend the new residents of the property came on to mine (during the night) and shoved the contaminated cans against my home. They also rearranged my cans which are in my backyard and left a can of raid on one of my cans.
I contacted Waste Management that is I know about the tagging. I also contacted Code Enforcement both cannot help me. I was told by code enforcement and waste management to put the three cans on their property- that will solve nothing. The new people know these cans are not mine. I live alone. I hope you can help me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of experience handling matters of a similar nature. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

This is a tough situation because the answers really can ruin any future relationship you have with your neighbors. That being the case, here are three things you can do to attempt to remedy the situation:

- You can simply speak with them about what has transpired and point out that you are aware of their actions and do not appreciate it and respectfully ***** ***** they do not attempt this again. You can further explain to them the proper method of disposal of these items if they are unaware;

- If that does not work or you do not feel comfortable with that method, you can call local law enforcement and explain the situation and that these people have trespassed on your property and they have attempted to commit what amounts to fraud as well relative to this disposal. The law enforcement officers can cite them for these actions; and

- You can seek a temporary restraining order against them that can be converted, after a hearing on the merits, into a permanent injunction for their actions. You will have to go to your local courthouse and fill out the paperwork for the restraining order and have it served on them by the sheriff.

Again, the last two methods will likely ruin any pending or future relationship with them. That said, given their actions, you might not care about any relationship and I would not blame you at all.

There is really no "good answer" here, legally speaking. Each method has its own limitations. However, these are realistically your only options, unfortunately.

Let me know your thoughts or if you have any other questions. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS) on the ratings bar on your end.

Thank you and best wishes!