How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31737
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can we do when my son's ex-girlfriend (who was given

Customer Question

What can we do when my son's ex-girlfriend (who was given temporary shelter, because she has two small kids and would have ended up on the streets), now refuses to leave my family home?
She is addicted to crack, leaves the house for days at a time to hook up with her dealer... HER KIDS GO WITH HER!! ( ages 5 and 9);, comes back when she feels like it, claiming Squatter's rights, and is threatening my son with bodily harm from her gangster friends, who are known violent drug dealer's that live two blocks away from him , If he takes legal steps to have her removed, (or if he tries to get CSD involved to remove the kids from this highly volatile situation!
She has taken over our rental home, which I rented out to my son and his room mates, and now... his PAYING room mates want to leave. Everyone has been affected by her erratic behavior, coming over at all hours, pounding on the door ,screaming to be let in, disturbing the neighbors... WHEN will it end!! ,
She has THREATENED my son that if he takes legal action to have her removed, she'll get her crack house, pimp friends to COME AFTER HIM !!
I fear her children are being emotionally damaged by being with someone like her. Children Services Division has been notified many times, ( they haven't done anything about the kids, and they are well aware of the situation)! The cops have been there multiple times.
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place! My son is genuinely afraid for his life!!
Please Help!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

First, if she is staying at your property without permission, you should have the right to evict her (even if she doesn't pay rent, if she's lived there for a few months, the law should consider her a tenant). Also, your son should inform child services of her activities and have them get involved to keep her away from the children and to give your son custody (at least temporarily).

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Also, your son can seek a restraining order against her to stop contact and to keep her away.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

No one should be afraid of being held hostage in their own home and these children need to be protected. Thus, if you and your son take these actions, it should be possible to provide some protection for you and your family.