Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My is ******** ********* I'm not sure how to word this, but

Customer Question
Hi, my is ******** *********...
Hi, my is ******** ********* I'm not sure how to word this, but I'm going to try my best. I met Brenda ****** in my cousin shop. Brenda ******* forever beauty permanent makeup. I was telling her about the problem I have with my lips. I had a bad dentist experience. I had to have over seven surgery to fix the problem. I don't like the way my mouth looks. I don't go out very much because I think my lips look horrible. Brenda told she could fix the problem. I started out at $350.00 then it went up to 650.00 my husband said if it will make you better go for it. She painted a beautiful picture. When I call to set something up. She said maybe you might think about getting your hold face done. because people will look the fine lines before your lips. That was $900.00. Talked to husband he is that was find. I had the first procedure done in the 2nd week in May 2016. At the first procedure I gave Brenda a check for $900.00 dollars. She cash my check two days later. She told me she had a cream that will make the procedure work better. $60.00. I wrote another check. The 2nd procedure was six weeks after the first procedure again another cream at was $90.00. She told me there was one more that was serum. I ask could I get the serum before the third procedure. I thought that would be good because all three would be working together. She said that would be fine, but she didn't have any serum, but it would be at the shop in the next few days. She would call me That was also going to cost $90.00 dollars . Two weeks went by I never did here from Brenda. This was around the fourth of July when I did talk to her. She said was taking classes, and taking time with her daughter, and tried. After us going back and forth. I told take her to take all time you need to get your sleep. Then call me, and then we can set up the last procedure. She calling that Tuesday she didn't have her appointment book she said she would call me back she never did. Thing were starting to get ugly. I don't know were to turn. I paid $900.00 plus what I paid for creams. Things were never completed. Her phone goes into her voice mail and she will not respond to my e-mails. I work very hard for my money. All I got out of her procedures was a red face for a few hours. I told her that my family and myself didn't see any changes in my face. I don't know if that upset her all. I know is she cash my check two after I gave it to her never came thought with her end. I did sign a contract to tell you the truth I didn't read it. She was so kind and sorry for what happened with my dentist. She hook me. Can you please help me I don't know were to turn or how to get my money back.
Thank you
************ ******
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/19/2016
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

There are a series of steps you can use to try to deal with these businesses in a way to at least get some resolution. You do not need to do each of these (some may not always work, for example I note in your fact pattern that you used a check instead of a credit/debit card), and some you may have already done (such as written to their customer service department (in your case writing directly to the proprietor)), but I provide you with the following as an outline because it gives you a methodical way of going through this in steps so that you can address this in a cost effective manner.

• *First: start with the company's customer service and dispute the claim. Keep your complaint in writing. If you speak to someone by phone, follow up promptly with a "confirmation letter" (see my note below).
  • *Second: (you can do this at the same time), if you paid by credit card (not debit card) you can open a dispute with your credit card carrier (follow the instructions with your credit card company). (Some banks do allow for charge disputes on your debit card - but not all, the laws are not the same and debit card purchases do not have the same protections, if you paid by debit card, contact your bank and see if they do have dispute resolution remedies).
  • *Third: open a dispute with the BBB. The BBB offers consumer dispute resolution that is fast, free to consumers, and is usually effective, they have no enforcement authority, but all BBB disputes result in a public report regarding resolution so businesses do respond to them. You can open a BBB dispute here: bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started
  • *Fourth: if you believe that the company is acting fraudulently (not just charging high rates), you can report them to the state Attorney General. The AG's office does not prosecute individual claims (so they will not get your money back for you), but they will investigate and potentially take administrative and/or criminal action against the company.
  • *Finally: you can file a small claims action against them for breach of contract. Small claims actions take approximately 3-8 months to go to trial. There is no guarantee of success in these disputes, but filing a small claims action does open an opportunity to negotiate a resolution (in addition to the above opportunities and can lead to mediation - many courts offer mediation programs for their small claims docket).

Confirmation letters: Keep written records of all communications - so if you speak to someone by phone, promptly send a follow up "confirmation letter" summarizing your conversation, who you spoke to, when, and any agreements you reached. Keep copies of your outgoing correspondence, as well as anything that you receive.

I wish you the best of luck with this dispute, and hopefully a speedy resolution.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think you understand it is company it one person. No your information did not help. I got rip off again for $47.00 plus $5.00 Why was that money taking out my checking acct. I thought 7 Day free trial. People just take and take!

Dear Customer,

My apologies, if she is not doing business as a part of a business entity (she is just performing this out of her home), then your remedy is simply to file a small claims case.

She should have some sort of license (beautician's license) - you can file a complaint with the state of Maryland for this - they can take her license or suspend it, but they will not recover your money (administrative agencies enforce licensing and can impose penalties on the holder, but they do not recover funds for the clients directly - you must file the small claims case yourself).

Regarding your account, unfortunately as an expert I do not have access to your account or subscription information. However, our customer service can assist you with this, you can reach them at this link: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help, I do apologize for the inconvenience.

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney