How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question, thanks tips-suggestions I lost my wallet- I had 2

Customer Question

Question, thanks for any tips-suggestions
I lost my wallet-
I had 2 prepaid cards no $ in the cards, and my "expired" ID. They tried using my cards at 711, and some taco place and were all rejected because of no funds. I got notification messages because of suspicious activity. I never eat at taco places.
Now, I got a ticket in the mail because a car got pulled over and they showed the stolen ID to police. I tried searching online in public databases to see if there was anything I could find and came up with the car that got pulled over. It gave me the year, make and model. And the vin # ***** the car.
Next, I went to the DMV website and put in the license plate number from the Police ticket and Vin # ***** the search database and it was a match.
Any suggestions? Thoughts?
🤔🤔 Thanks for any feedback.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using the forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Did you report your wallet stolen?

Have you contacted the law enforcement agency that issued the citation to notify them of the stolen ID?

If you are unable to resolve the matter with these simple steps, your next step is to actually file an appearance with the court that is responsible for issuing the fine or citation related to the original ticket. You will need to check with the court (county where the ticket was issued) specifically as each court has slightly different mechanisms for doing this, but hopefully you will be permitted to submit what is called an "affidavit" (a sworn statement) regarding the stolen identity. Otherwise you will need to make a physical appearance, or pay an attorney to do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I just call the local police station and report over the phone? Or it has to be in person?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You can call the police station (use their non-emergency number), but they may ask you to come in to the department to complete the report.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was in early June- the ID was expired anyway, and I didn't think there was a need to do anything only cancel my cards and that's it- was I supposed to do anything besides canceling cards since the beginning?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I suspect you are going to have to be a little more aggressive in dealing with this matter (both with regards ***** ***** traffic citation and in protecting your identity - I would suggest using this link:

I would check with the law enforcement department and the court responsible for the traffic citation to see what information they need to help you at this point - and if you can get any stay on the proceeding (pause the proceeding) while they review your information on the stolen identification.

As I noted above, you may have to actually make a court appearance to defend yourself against the traffic ticket that someone else incurred.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok- well I appreciate your help. Thank You.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service (the series of 5 stars next to the chat window) so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.